If you've been considering a facelift, but are afraid your face may look too pulled or windswept, you may be interested in the SMAS facelift technique. Missoula plastic surgery patients who wish to improve their appearance are choosing the SMAS facelift over the traditional facelift for its more natural looking results. Read here to learn more about the SMAS facelift technique.
The SMAS Facelift
The SMAS facelift is different from a traditional facelift in that it focuses on the underlying muscles and dermal layer for a more natural look. SMAS itself refers to the superficial musculoaponeurotic system, which extends along the nose, upper cheekbones, and the ear. This muscle system is responsible for keeping the different facial tissue layers moving as one. Over time, the SMAS muscle system becomes more lax, along with other tissues of the face, causing sagging jowls and loose skin of the neck. Since traditional facelifts only tighten the superficial, surface tissues, the face can be left looking too tight and the facelift can be obvious (in a bad way). The SMAS facelift targets the deep muscles to mimic a youthful SMAS system, creating a natural looking lift.
Why Choose the SMAS Facelift Over a Traditional Facelift
The SMAS facelift offers many benefits over traditional facelifts. Some of the most notable reasons the SMAS facelift is gaining popularity over traditional techniques include:
- No windswept appearance: Since traditional facelifts horizontally tighten the skin, they can result in the face looking windswept, or overly taut, and unnatural. The SMAS facelift reduces the risk of a windswept look by vertically adjusting the tissues down to the deep muscle layer.
- Reduced risk of pointed ears: Traditional facelifts can put tension on the earlobes, resulting in pointed ears. The SMAS technique helps reduce the risk of pointed, pixie ears by evenly tightening both the deep and superficial layers of the skin and muscles.
- Reduced risk of raised sideburns: Raised sideburns, or even a loss of sideburns, is a possible risk of the traditional facelift. This is due to the tissue being pulled and tightened from the middle of the face. Unwanted changes in sideburns is not likely with the SMAS facelift technique, which allows for more surgical precision.
- More natural looking results: The SMAS facelift creates more natural looking results through the vertical tightening of both the deep and superficial tissues.
- Longer lasting results: Results are longer lasting with the SMAS facelift because the deep muscle system is lifted, creating a youthful base for the surface layers of the skin to lay on.
- Improved confidence: Many patients who undergo the SMAS facelift feel more confident with their rejuvenated, refreshed appearance.
- Rejuvenated appearance: The SMAS facelift helps reduce the signs of facial aging by eliminating jowls and loose neck skin while creating a fuller, more youthful appearance.
Schedule a Consultation
To find out if you're a candidate for the SMAS facelift, or to discuss your other plastic surgery options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation today!