Enjoy a Sculpted Tummy with Abdominal Liposuction
The abdomen is a notorious problem area for stubborn fat. Despite endless crunches and sit-ups, some people may never achieve a flat, sculpted stomach. If this sounds familiar, you may be a candidate for abdominal liposuction.
What Is Abdominal Liposuction?
Liposuction is a body contouring procedure that can be used to eliminate fat in trouble spots of the abdomen, thighs, upper arms, and neck. Abdominal liposuction focuses on the stomach, helping to eliminate stubborn fat to reveal a more streamlined torso. The lower abdomen, waistline, and general stomach area can all benefit from abdominal liposuction treatment.
Liposuction, regardless of the treatment area, is essentially the suctioning of fat out of localized areas of the body. There are different methods including traditional liposuction, tumescent liposuction, and laser-assisted liposuction. Many surgeons, and patients prefer tumescent and laser-assisted liposuction over traditional treatments as they are safer and provide better results. Tumescent liposuction involves the injection of a special solution prior to liposuction treatment. This solution includes saline (to make the fatty tissues swell), lidocaine (an anesthetic), and epinephrine (which helps reduce bleeding). This solution helps to liquify fat, reduce pain, and prevent excessive bleeding during the liposuction procedure. Laser-assisted liposuction uses a cannula with laser tip to gently melt fat for easier removal, and reduced post-operative pain, swelling, and bruising. Either treatment can be used for abdominal liposuction.
Candidates for Abdominal Liposuction
Abdominal liposuction is successful at contouring the torsos of both men and women of nearly any age. Candidates for abdominal liposuction should be in good physical health and able to tolerate surgery. Candidates must also understand that liposuction is not a substitute for living a healthy lifestyle, including eating right and regularly exercising. Abdominal liposuction candidates include:
- Those with stubborn abdominal fat: Candidates for abdominal liposuction include those with areas of abdominal fat that will not go away with diet and exercise.
- Those who are healthy enough for surgery: Abdominal liposuction is an invasive treatment and as such, patients who elect to undergo this procedure must be healthy enough to tolerate surgery.
- Women who have given birth or have had a cesarean section: Pregnancy and cesarean sections can create fatty pockets in the lower abdomen that can't be fixed with crunches and diets. Abdominal liposuction can be used to smooth out the lower abdomen and give a woman back her pre-baby tummy.
- Those within or close to their ideal body weight: Liposuction is not a cure for obesity and is not to be used as a “get slim quick” method. Candidates for abdominal liposuction should be at or near their ideal body weight. Once fat is removed, it can come back so those who are more than 25 pounds over their ideal weight may gain the fat back if lifestyle changes haven't been made to maintain the fat loss.
- Patients who are over 18: As with most plastic surgery treatments, it is recommended that patients be over 18 before undergoing the procedure. Abdominal liposuction can be performed on adults of all ages provided they are healthy enough for surgery.
Schedule a Consultation
To find out more information about abdominal liposuction and to see if you're a candidate, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with North West Plastic Surgery Associates.