Are You a Good Candidate for Abdominoplasty?
Are you self conscious about loose or excess skin around your stomach? Do you eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly without noticeable results? If so, you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. During this procedure, also known as abdominoplasty, Dr. Hardy will remove excess skin and tighten weak muscles in your midsection. This enables him to give you smoother skin, and a younger looking figure that reflects your healthy weight and lifestyle. Before recommending a tummy tuck, Dr. Hardy will schedule a complete consultation. After a discussion of your cosmetic goals and overall health, he can determine whether you are a suitable candidate for this procedure. To find out if you are a good tummy tuck candidate, contact our Missoula practice today.
What Is Abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty is a minimal-risk surgery that can have dramatic benefits for your appearance and self-esteem. After administering general anesthesia, Dr. Hardy will make an incision running along your pubic line between your hipbones. Then he will reposition your abdominal muscles so that they are flat and taut across your stomach. In some cases, he may remove small portions of damaged muscle. Dr. Hardy will use precise techniques for minimal risks and a natural appearance. If needed, he can also combine liposuction with your tummy tuck. When he has created smooth, natural contours, he will trim off extra skin and close the incisions. After your recovery, you could look dramatically younger and slimmer.
Considering Your Cosmetic Goals
At your consultation with Dr. Hardy, you will first discuss your goals for treatment. A tummy tuck may be the right solution if you have loose skin and muscle giving your stomach an untoned look. The treatment can be especially appropriate if you have recently lost a large amount of weight, leaving stretched skin that obscures the results of your weight loss. Abdominoplasty can also be a good option if you are trying to restore your pre-pregnancy figure. It is important to note, however, that a tummy tuck is not a magic cure. To maintain your trim stomach, you must eat a healthy diet and keep up an active lifestyle.
Overall Health Is an Important Factor
Along with your cosmetic goals, Dr. Hardy will also consider your complete well-being before recommending a tummy tuck. There are a number of health factors that can affect your candidacy for treatment. These considerations include:
- Current weight: To qualify for a tummy tuck, you should be at a stable weight. If you are planning to lose weight or have a baby, you should wait to undergo abdominoplasty. Future weight fluctuations can negate the results of your surgery.
- Skin elasticity: You will typically enjoy the best abdominoplasty results if your skin still has some youthful suppleness. After surgery, it will adhere to your new muscle contours more easily.
- Health conditions: You should not undergo a tummy tuck if you have a serious health condition or an autoimmune disease that could impair healing.
- Tobacco use: Smoking can seriously impact your body’s ability to heal. To qualify for a tummy tuck, you must stop smoking for at least two weeks before your procedure, if not longer.
- Reasons for surgery: The decision to receive plastic surgery is a personal one. You should always choose a tummy tuck for yourself and not to please someone else. Additionally, you should have reasonable expectations regarding the outcome of your treatment.
Dr. Hardy will explain the likely effects of your surgery, and he will help you make a knowledgeable decision. If you decide that a tummy tuck is not right for you, he can also outline alternative treatments to enhance your figure.
Schedule a Tummy Tuck Consultation
Contact Northwest Plastic Surgery Associates today and find out if you are a candidate for a tummy tuck.