Becoming a mother is one of life’s greatest joys. However, some women struggle with how their bodies look and feel after pregnancy. Even with routine diet and exercise, it is hard to get your pre-pregnancy body back. Weight fluctuations and the other body changes that come with pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can cause saggy breasts, flabby tummies, and excess skin.
Dr. Stephen P. Hardy in Missoula, MT is proud to offer mommy makeovers for women who wish to improve their appearance and boost their self-confidence through a variety of body contouring and breast enhancement procedures. Before undergoing this procedure, it’s important to understand what is involved in the mommy makeover recovery so you can maximize your results.
Each mommy makeover is catered to the unique needs of the patient, so recovery times can vary. Because a mommy makeover can include numerous procedures in one surgery, such as a breast augmentation and lift, tummy tuck, liposuction, and thigh lift, the recovery process may be extensive. Below are some tips that can help you with your mommy makeover recovery.
Preparation is key to the success of your recovery. Prior to your surgery, Dr. Hardy will meet with you to discuss the procedure in detail and provide you with a list of instructions to help prepare your body and home for after surgery. This may include:
- Prescriptions: Filling your prescriptions beforehand can make it easier for your recovery.
- Medications and Supplements: Certain medications and supplements can inhibit your response to surgery and recovery. You will be instructed to stop taking these beforehand and throughout your recovery.
- Grocery Shopping: Having your kitchen fully stocked with nutritious foods, and cooking and freezing meals in advance will make life easier after surgery.
- Arrange Childcare: You will be unable to lift anything heavy for at least four weeks. Be sure to have your partner or another loved available to assist you if you have small children.
- Work: Take the allotted time off from work. Most patients will miss at least one to two weeks of work, maybe more if their procedure is more complex.
- Make a Comfortable Environment: Deep clean your home prior to surgery to eliminate the risk for infection. Place clean sheets on your bed with extra pillows to make it as comfortable as possible. You may also want to have your laptop, phone, bottled water, and any other entertainment within reach.
Take Care of Yourself
After surgery, you will be encouraged to get up and walk a few hours after surgery to help with blood flow. Healthy blood flow can minimize your risk for blot clots. Once home, increase your activity little by little as directed by Dr. Hardy. Although light activity is essential to recovery, resting is just as important. Patients who overdo it can cause a setback in their recovery.
Observe Your Post-op Instructions
Before leaving the hospital, you will be given a list of post-op instructions that should be diligently observed at home. These instructions are in place for your overall health and final results and will include your medication schedule, incision care, and activities to avoid. These may also involve wearing a surgical bra or compression garment to minimize swelling.
Contact Our Office
At Northwest Plastic Surgery Associates, we are committed to helping our patients have a positive and successful mommy makeover recovery. As an experienced board certified surgeon, Dr. Hardy will customize your mommy makeover to your personal cosmetic goals. If you are interested in gaining back your pre-pregnancy body, contact our office online today or call (406) 728-3811 to schedule your consultation.